Search This Blog

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Talking



 
A thousand cups of wine do not suffice when true friends meet,
but half a sentence is too much when there is no meeting of minds.
~ Chinese Proverb
- - - - -
 
I like meeting people who are different.  Well, I don't really actually like meeting people all that much.  I don't  think I make a good first impression.  People don't always get my humor.  I DO, however, make a very good third impression. 
 
Anyway, I like it when you meet someone who is very different from you - like a reindeer and an elf, or an elf and an elf who wants to be a dentist, or a reindeer and a guy who is "DIGGING FOR GOOOOLD!"  I also like that Rudolph TV special.
 
But I digress.
 
My point is that we can often find common ground through communication.  Too bad it's not called "commonication."  That would be awesome.
 
But I digress.  Again.
 
What I mean is that it is important to talk to one another.  And to listen to one another.
 
Like the other day when Sally (who had lost her voice, but got her voice back again for a minute) said, "Well, the problem right now is that I start talking and I'm never sure when the sentence is going to end."
 
I assured her, "That isn't just a problem right now.  I've felt that way about you starting sentences lots of times."
 
She laughed.  Or at least I think she laughed.  She had lost her voice again.
 
And, for the record, I'm not saying whether Sally would be Rudolph and me Hermey or vice versa.  Because I don't really see either of us as either of them.  I think of Sally as more of a Burl Ives singing snowman type.  Think about it.  If you knew Sally, you'd agree.  Wise troubadour rolling around giving advice.  And in the role of narrator - "noticing and commenting," even.
 
I wonder if I called her right now if she'd answer the phone.  If she did, I wonder if I would be able to hear her.  And if she fell in the woods, would she make a sound?
 
But I digress.  A third time.