Search This Blog

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Unexpected

Most people want to be circled by safety, not by the unexpected.
The unexpected can take you out.  But the unexpected can also take you over
and change your life.  Put a heart in your body where a stone used to be.
~ Ron Hall
- - - - -

Unexpected things are fun sometimes.  Often.  Usually.  

But then we try to make unexpected things expected.  We try to explain away the unexpected so that it can fit our expectations.  Ironic, right?  Like putting a round peg in a square hole.  Maybe it's just not supposed to fit.

A recent example is when I  opened one of my Mary Chapin Carpenter CDs and found "MTV Party to Go 6" as well as the MCC CD.  

What's crazy is I was able to make a circle fit in a square because that round CD went right back into the square CD case when I was done.  I didn't expect that.

(pause)

Actually, I did.  I mean, it had come out of that case and the case is made to hold CDs.  

This ended up not being such a good post on the unexpected.  Which is unexpected given the title of the post, right?  

(pause)

See how it all works out?