Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Language

silence is the language of god, all else is poor imitation.
~ Rumi
- - - - -

I always hoped that I would be amazingly talented at something without even trying.  That's the American way, I suppose.  I thought maybe I would be freakishly brilliant at math, but that wasn't it.  I thought maybe I'd discover something related to astronomy.  That hasn't been the case.  I thought maybe I'd figure out a way to convey some idea related to social justice so that everyone would go, "Oh.  That makes sense.  Let's not hate about that anymore."

Nope.

There are moments, though…  when I'm typing - often when I'm tired - and I think that maybe I might be typing fluently in some other language.  I even can kind of tell what the words mean - even though it is not a language I have ever spoken before.  I try to figure out if it's Portuguese or Tibetan.  I look at the words and try to figure out where they might have originated.

Then I  realize that I had my fingers on the wrong keys on the keyboard.

I guess the language I type when I type like that is just slightly off key.