Search This Blog

Friday, February 28, 2014

Seeing

Almost nothing need be said when you have eyes.
~ Tarjei Vesaas
- - - - -
I took this photo in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.  It is visibly beautiful and it is serene and calm and quiet and wonderful.  I think this is a decent photo, but it does not do justice to actually seeing and being there.
 
I think that is true more often than not.  While I love photography, I know that it is a representation of a thing seen or something experienced or a person.  It is not the sum total of the place or the moment or the individual.
 
I do think that photos can be more powerful than words sometimes.  Maybe even often.
 
A couple of examples...  I was going through my notes for possible blogs and I came across this, "Saw a crow chase a squirrel."  "Saw a biker crash into a guy eating ice cream."  In this case, the words do not do justice to the events as they happened.  A picture would be better.  But maybe I didn't use enough words.  If I could use 1,001 words, I could always come up with something worth more than a picture.