Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Shopping

We're rapidly approaching a world composed entirely of jail and shopping.
~ Douglas Coupland
- - - - -

I don't love shopping.  I do love getting great gifts for people, but I'd rather do that online.  First of all, you can find better stuff.  Second of all, you don't have to be "helped" by staff.  Third of all, you don't have to wear socially acceptable attire to do that.

That said, I do like some shops.  I like little stores that have interesting things or interesting people.  I like places with found items or repurposed items.  I like creative stores with creative products and people.

I also like a store that has what I need and I know where to find it so I can get in and out.  Especially if it is a crowded store.  

Know who hates shopping more than I do?  Well, I imagine a lot of people do.  There are a LOT of people on planet earth and I don't pretend at the very top of the "I hate shopping" list.  Or at the very bottom of the "I love shopping" list.  Why do they even have both of those lists?  It's confusing.

Anyway, back to my question…  Know who hates shopping more than I do?  Leslie.  We recently went to Ikea to get some shelves and she had intense gastrointestinal issues.  I don't know why - the people, the place, the consumerism?  I have no ikea why she was so sick.  (see what I did there?)

I have a friend - I think it was Julie - who used to have the same thing happen to her when she went into fabric stores.  And it used to happen to me when I would smell really old books.

So if there was a mass-produced / some-assembly-required furniture, fabric and ancient bookstore, I doubt the three of us would shop there.  I'm not sure who would shop there.  Probably the staff for HGTV shows.  And BookTV.