Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Communication

We have a natural right to make use of our pens as of our tongue, at our peril, risk and hazard.
~ Voltaire
- - - - -
Or maybe it's good. Sometimes when I have tried to communicate in open ways, I have struggled. Here is an example of an exchange with one of the grad students when I was in residence life at Iowa State...
Sara: Wow, you are really astute!
Me: NO! You're an astute! I'm copying your supervisor on this so she can se the kind of language you use! Your vocabliary might be big, but you shouldn't swear at people!
Sara: According to dictionary.com, the following words are synonymous with teh word astute: skilled; cunning; wily; crafty. It was supposed to be a compliment... but since that word isn't in your "vocabliary" I guess it was ust way over your head. Just think of it as me telling you, "You're funny" next time, ok?
Me: Oh. I thought it meant I was carved out of rock and didn't move. My bad. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment