Search This Blog

Monday, August 25, 2014

Teaching

Who is sitting in that empty chair?
~ Eugene Ormandy
- - - - -
 
Today I teach my first graduate class as a full-time faculty member.  I picture a room of empty chairs and imagine a variety of personalities and experiences in the form of people in each chair.  Well, at least most chairs.  Not sure how many chairs there are in the room.  I guess since I'm picturing it, I can picture it however I want.  When I picture it, I picture everyone there, but a few extra empty chairs so it isn't too crowded.
 
But I digress...
 
I hope I do a good job teaching.  I'm pretty sure I will.  There will be times I do things better than other times, but that will be true of the students, too.  I hope I teach not only the subject at hand, but a sense of professionalism, the ability to navigate conflict, creative problem-solving, and ethics.
 
I have written some case studies for an ethics book.  I wrote them for Mimi and Flo's book.  I wrote them with my friend Craig.  When Mimi said they were reviewing them and that a few of the ones Craig and I contributed would be in the book, I was very excited.  I wrote her and said, "I am very excited.  We took them from another case study book.  We thought they were pretty good."
 
There are lots of ways to teach people about ethics.  Being an example is one way.  Actually, it's two ways - being a good example and being a bad example.
 
Teaching is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment