Search This Blog

Monday, August 11, 2014

Grindstone

It is tough trying to keep your feet on the ground, your head above the clouds, your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your finger on the pulse, your eye on the ball, and your ear to the ground.
~ Proverb
- - - - -

When we were hiking around the mill, Leslie and I saw this.  We speculated that it got carried downriver from the mill after one of the hurricanes the park ranger guy told us about.  Like the old saying goes, a grindstone in a flood gathers no moss.

My grandfather used to have a grindstone.  I think he used it to sharpen his tools.  It was in a little stand thing rather than being a giant grindstone like this one.  I mean, it was still pretty big, but just not AS big.  At one point, I think I believed that the grindstone was part of the spanking machine he was always threatening to invent.  It seems like it might be able to play a useful role as a part of a spanking machine.

I can't say if he ever invented that machine or not.  I know he never had to use it on me.  Not because I was perfect.  Not even because I never got caught.  Just because - no wait, it is because I was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment