Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2014

Self

Freeing yourself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another.
~ Toni Morrison
- - - - -
 
I think that through every endeavor in life we are seeking an understanding of ourselves.  First (and at random times throughout life) we seek care of the self - food, shelter and the basics.  Then we seek an understanding of the self in the context of others.  Then we seek an understanding of ourselves outside of the context of others and the labeling others do for / to us.  Then we seek to understand the role we play in the larger picture - family, society, world, universe, time and space.
 
As conscious beings, this is our challenge.  Of course some of us choose not to engage in the challenge - or are not privileged enough to move beyond the care of the self stage. 
 
Others try to take shortcuts.  Instead of sitting in quiet and thinking and being to find ourselves, we look for answers in books or online quizzes.  Right now there are LOTS of online quizzes.  What color are you?  What 90s rock anthem are you?  What letter of the alphabet are you?  What left-handed artist from before the 20th century are you?  And so on and so forth.
 
As I was preparing for my move, I was going through files and found some quizzes I had developed.  In addition to the "What is your HOBO name" quiz and the "Traveling Companion Compatibility Instrument" (or TCCI), I found a quiz called, "Which Dwarf are You?"  It was composed as follows:
 
Uusally I feel:

1. happy
2. grumpy
3. dopey
4. bashful
5. like a doctor
6. sneezy
7. sleepy
 
Your results:
 
If you chose 1 you are...  HAPPY.
If you chose 2 you are...  GRUMPY.
If you chose 3 you are...  DOPEY.
If you chose 4 you are...  BASHFUL.
If you chose 5 you are...  DOC.
If you chose 6 you are...  SNEEZY.
If you chose 7 you are...  SLEEPY.
 
I was way ahead of my time and I'm pretty sure my quiz is about as accurate as some of those written since 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment