Search This Blog

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Revenge

The best revenge is to be unlike him who peformed the injury.
~ Marcus Aurelius
- - - - -
 
I like that quote.  While I understand the concept of "an eye for an eye," I do not quite understand when people play that out as more like, "ten eyes for an eye."  Revenge is a dangerous thing and takes us down a slippery slope.
 
 
Even the interwebs know it.  When I typed in "revenge" in the search engine today, I got a warning that my search might be observable by others and did I want to continue.  Thanks, interwebs.  Thanks for protecting the revenge-seekers.  Or for protecting us from them.
 
It is interesting that "revenge" and "venge" and "avenge" all mean about the same thing.  Which came first, the wrong or the seeking of retaliation for the wrong?  Maybe we all are stuck in lives of constant vengeance - the cycle of repetition repeatedly repeating itself.
 
I'd rather be stuck in a life of constant abundance, endurance, happenstance, balance, romance, transformance and vibrance.
 
Actually, I'd rather not be stuck at all.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment