Search This Blog

Monday, June 3, 2013

Alone

I don't want to be alone, I want to be left alone.
~ Audrey Hepburn
- - - - -

I think it is good to be alone sometimes.  Or at least left alone.  I think reflection and quiet are important.  And we don't get enough of that.  Between people and the busyness of life and the constant connection of electronic engagement, there are few times we can find quiet and peace and calm.

I saw a man walking alone the other day.  I had stopped at the gas station.  He was walking.  By himself.  He wasn't looking at a cell phone or listening to something on earphones.  He was just walking.  By himself.  I don't know what sorts of thoughts he might be thinking or how he might be enjoying (or not) his aloneness.  I just thought it was interesting to see someone walking alone.  Without distraction.

Of course, he was wearing a shirt which read, "I fart on the first date," so that might have had something to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment