Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Communication

The single biggest problem in communication 
is the illusion that it has taken place.
~ George Bernard Shaw
- - - - - 

Communication is difficult.  It's difficult in person, in writing, over the phone.  It's more difficult with some people than others.  It is affected by emotions on the part of the sender and the receiver.  It is affected by one's surroundings.  It changes all the time from one moment to the next.  

You know the conversation about, "What if red doesn't look the same to you as it does to me?"  Well, words are the same way.  What if "love" doesn't mean the same to you as it does to me?  Or "sunshine."  Or "Flag Day."  Or "puppy."  We have to navigate these kinds of things all the time.  It's difficult.  

The other day Leslie and I were talking on the phone and I realized that I was not understanding what she was trying to convey.

Me:  Either you're not communicating well or I'm not tracking.

Leslie:  (pauses)  Whichever one is bad for you.

See how we communicated?  I identified a problem - poor communication, and she identified the cause - me.  It's good to talk through communication problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment