Search This Blog

Friday, June 28, 2013

Forgiving

The weak can never forgive.
Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong.
~ Mahatma Gandhi
- - - - -

I wish I was more forgiving.  I think I am understanding, but I know that isn't the same thing.  To me understanding is being able to put together the context in which another person may have made a decision or taken an action and not being so critical or harsh or hurt because of that.  Which is good.  And can be helpful.  

I think that being forgiving is not being so critical or harsh or hurt without any context of "the other."  It's being willing to let things go.  To assume goodwill.  To know that their actions are about what is in them not really about you.  At least most of the time.

In a way being understanding is an extra step that can impede or even prevent the forgiveness process.  It requires review and critique instead of being based simply on kindness towards others.

I guess I'll need to think more about this.  Maybe I've got it all wrong.  I've made mistakes in the past.  But that's understandable.  (pause)  

Oops.  I mean forgivable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment