Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2013

New

Your success and happiness lies in you.  Resolve to keep happy and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.
~ Helen Keller
- - - - -

I found this upon reviewing drafts for my blog.  I think I had intended to post it on January 1st, 2013.  Instead, I'll post it today.  E's birthday...

I struggled with what to write for this New Year's Day post.  I wasn't sure if I should be reflective, philosophical, cynical...  And then I saw this picture of Elizabeth at the beach.  I love the ocean.  And I love Elizabeth.  And so I decided to go with this for a post...

A new year's day is a chance to look ahead differently.  To see things in a new way.  It's our annual "do-over."  Our "this year I'm gonna..." moment.  The time when we haven't made any mistakes this year, yet.  And we are working toward a set of sometimes ambiguous and sometimes unachievable goals.

I don't think the symbol for New Year's should be a baby.  A baby can't do anything - besides wear a sash and a top hat, I guess.  I know it's supposed to represent possibility.  But it is possibility without capability.

I think the symbol for New Year's should be a 12 year old.  Obnoxious at times, but with enough knowledge to know that some of the things the rest of us don't think are possible ARE possible.  Not only are they possible, but each 12 year old is the one person who can achieve those possibilities.  Kind of like the political candidates caucusing in Iowa around this time.

With most 12 year-olds, you don't know for sure if they'll use their powers for good or for evil.  Same thing with each new year.  You don't know if it's going to be good or super-sucky.

Also, I think that the New Year's symbol should probably be a 12 year old girl.  Because most pre- and early-teen old boys, as I have mentioned before, look and act like Shrek and there could be copyright issues if we used them.

No comments:

Post a Comment