Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Exit

I don't believe in dying.  It's been done.  I'm working on a new exit.
Besides, I can't die now - I'm booked!
~ George Burns
- - - - -

Sometimes I'm sad when people die.  I know that death is a part of life and not separate from life.  I know that it is the next phase.  Some people think everything ends when you die.  Some people think you come back for another trip.  Some people think you go to Heaven.  Some people probably think things about death that I don't know they are thinking.

When I was little, they told me that when you die you go to Heaven and everything is perfect there.  At the time, I imagined that Heaven was a big room with lots of bunk beds and a huge swimming pool.  

As I got older, I realized how silly and juvenile that was.  First, I almost drowned which kind of squashed the swimming pool aspect.  And then I found out that bunk beds aren't necessarily ideal.

Does that mean that I was wrong about Heaven as a child?  Or does it mean that Heaven changed as I got older?  Probably neither.  And both.  I actually think that Heaven can be all things to all people.

Let me just add this...  Now that I'm older, I am also sure that "bunk bed swimming Heaven" is separated from whatever my new version of Heaven is by soundproof walls.  Because if it wasn't, it wouldn't be heavenly at all to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment