Search This Blog

Friday, August 23, 2013

Seeing

I have learened silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.
~ Kahlil Gibran
- - - - -
 
It is time for me to start a new journal.  This means I am going through my old notes.  I found the following which - upon my review - now have no context for me...
 
"Partridges in a pear forest couldn't see the pears for the forest."
 
"What is a wonderland?  Duh!  It's a land of wonder."
 
I think maybe they were from a holiday party.  I'm not sure.  I do think that the use of landscape in the imagery is good though.  A forest.  A land.  The partridges are unable to see what is right in front of them as is the person who doesn't know what a wonderland is.
 
Isn't that what we are all like at times, though?  We have amazing things in front of us - pears, wonder, beaches, money, yo-yos...  bright, shiny objects which we miss because we are either too focused on the big picture or so buried in our own heads that we miss them.
 
The bright shiny objects, the lessons to be learned...  they're just waiting there for us.  As soon as we are ready to receive them, they will become obvious.
 
Until then they are hidden like pears in a pear forest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment