Search This Blog

Monday, August 5, 2013

Eavesdropping

I've often stood silent at a party for hours listening to my movie idols turn into dull and little people.
~ Marilyn Monroe
- - - - -

I may have posted this already, but I looked back and couldn't find it.  If I have, my apologies.  If not, here it is...

Much of my blog comes from things overheard or my observations about things seen.  There are lots of good places to overhear things.  It used to be you could only overhear things - mostly - when people were in groups.  NOW you can overhear things when people are alone.  Talking on their cell phones.  Which is good for me - at least when it isn't annoying to me.

Anyway, this isn't about that.  This is about me overhearing three people talking about movies in Target.  We were in the DVD section.  A young woman was talking to her two young men friends.  She said, "I need to start my movie collection. Because I have - like - two movies.  I have 'Bridesmaids,' so that's a pretty solid start.  And 'The Ringer.'"

Now, I have not and will not see The Ringer.  I have seen and enjoy Bridesmaids.  I would not consider these "a pretty solid start" on a film collection.  I have little faith in her cinematic parti pris.

That said, I think people can have their own opinions.  Do they have "right" to those opinions?  No.  I don't know that it's a "right."  Are they "entitled" to their opinions?  Well, I think we have enough entitlement to deal with as is.  I'm not about to expand the range of certain people's entitlement.

I think my point is that eavesdropping is fun.  And sort of sad at the same time.  At least that's what Marilyn Monroe and I think.

3 comments:

  1. Eavesdropping IS fun. lol
    Today at the county fair while in line for the ferris wheel, I heard a mom yell at her daughter, "Do you want the icing out of your hair or NOT?!" For some reason, that made me laugh. Maybe just in relief because the icing was not in MY hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite is eavesdropping on people who speak languages i don't understand. that way you can just make up for yourself what they're saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, i did that comment signed into my husband's account. i'm sure he would approve of the comment tho', he's good like that.

    ReplyDelete