Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Language

Life has no plot.  It is far more interesting than anything you can say about it because language, by its very nature, orders things and life really has no order.
~ Erica Jong
- - - - -

I would be a good lyricist. I hear songs all the time and get frustrated when they miss opportunities for better lyrics than what they ended up with. Okay, "better" is subjective, but sometimes one's subjectivity is also "right." Some things are "worse," some things are "better" and some things are different.

(pause)

I can settle for "different." Which - in my case - is probably a good thing since I am maybe mroe than a little different from most people...

Anyway, the other day I was listening to "Don't Let Me Get Me," by P!nk. I accidentally sang the wrong word in one of the lines. And then realized it would have been a clever line and probably SHOULD be the real word. The original line is:

Never win first place, I don't support the team
I can't take direction and my socks are never clean.

I think it would be better this way...

Never win first place, I don't support the team
I can't take direction and my thoughts are never clean.

Clever, right?

Now, what I'm not sure is whether this singing slip reveals more about what I think of P!nk or just more about how I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment