Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Clouds

If writers wrote as carelessly as some people talk, then adhasdh asdglaseuyt[bn[ pasdlgkhasdfasdf.
~ Lemony Snicket
- - - - -

I was thinking about filibusters the other night.  Regardless of how you feel about Wendy Davis or Rand Paul or other filibusterers, the act itself is interesting.  That someone could be effectively doing her or his job by standing and talking for hours on end.

I thought about trying that at work this week.  Just standing and talking for 8 hours or so.  Just to see what people would do.  Then I thought about how filibuster is derived from the Dutch "vribuiter" meaning robber or someone who wages an ad hoc war on another.  And how the term was coined in the 1850s in reference to Abraham Watkins Venable.  And then I thought about how venable sounds like venerable which means accorded a great deal of respect, but how I don't think that is what Albert G. Brown meant when he was talking about Abe Venable.  

And then I thought about how if Abraham Venable actually went by "Abe," that you could recreate his last name so that it was both his first and last name in one:

VENABLE

But then I thought that maybe people weren't ready for that sort of thing in the mid-1800s.
And then I thought about how I would be really good at filibustering, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment