Search This Blog

Monday, August 26, 2013

Taste

Ask now what you can do for your country.  
Ask what's for lunch.
~ Orson Welles
- - - - -

I like to cook.  I'm just an okay cook.  However, I am pretty amazing with leftovers.  I had some food leftover and yesterday I made it into fried rice.  I had some for dinner and will eat the rest as a lunch this week.  It was good.  

The only catch to the whole things was that while I was cooking, I was listening to Radiolab.  Radiolab is an awesome show on public radio.  Yesterday's episode was about "Patient Zero."  Unfortunately, while I was cooking, they were talking about Mary Mallon.  Typhoid Mary.  I learned a lot - like the fact that Mary was not the only cook who carried and transmitted typhoid.  There were several other male cooks who were later identified as carrier / transmitters.  Mary Mallon was, however, the only carrier / transmitter who was quarantined on an island.

I'm not making a statement on the treatment of women or Irish immigrants here.  I don't know enough about the history of this situation to make that kind of observation or issue that kind of criticism.

No, what I'm saying is "Tales of Typhoid Mary," is not necessarily a good thing to listen to when you're cooking.  At least I was cooking, though.  If I'd been preparing Peach Melba, that would have really freaked me out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment